Monday, June 7, 2010

Apologies All Around...

What, you say, apologies for not writing in over a week? Old news.

Apologies for being so behind on reading and commenting on all of your superior, more prolific blogs? Feh. Been there.

But, an apology for inadvertently contributing to the spread of a ridiculous story via the internet, in a blog read by fives of people? Well, sign me up!

Yeah. Big freaking sigh. My poor dad. He was so befuddled when I told him. It was, after all, his cousin who told him the story, and now he maintains that no-one is trustworthy, especially Iowans. My sister also found out (after repeating the story several times) that this myth was on Snopes.com, and is now recommending that we also question Dad's whole "false alarm shooting in the church story."

So, in sincere contrition, I offer you an almost equally ridiculous story, one that involves Actual People I Know Personally, sources apparently more reliable than my lying father.

Until Tankbaby was born, MOTH and I went each summer to Burning Man. What, I never mentioned that? Yes, yes, we're big hippies. Anyway, one year, some friends of ours from Chicago drove out to join us. At the end of the week, we were all dusty, filthy, and grinning. One couple, Jill and Eric, got their entire bodies painted (Jill in a stunning blue-green, Eric in red), as you do when you're out in the desert with a buncha weirdos. So, picture if you will this dirty, dusty SUV, with four people, all unwashed, one wearing a fisherman's hat with cat ears attached, one painted entirely red, one entirely blue. On the drive home, somewhere in the Midwest, they pull up next to another car at a stoplight. They look over, and there's a guy dressed as Ronald effing McDonald driving the car.

He looks at them. They look at him.

Ronald rolls down his window. Eric does the same.

Ronald says, "Hey, man. What's McHappening?"


Almost as good, yes?

7 comments:

  1. That right there pretty much sums up everything I ever want to happen in this world.
    How right is it that he asks "what's McHappening?"
    I think I might cry now.
    Tears of joy, mind you, so don't worry.
    I didn't know you were a super hippy! I want pictures now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *slurp* I missed you so much I wrote an entire post about Vaseline. Now I want a cheeseburger.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, you need to start painting the baby for fun.
    Just don't paint him to look like Ronald McDonald because that would be wrong.
    Make him some cute baby thing like a bunny or a snap pea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this story! "What's McHappenin'" made me laugh out loud.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome. You need to turn this into a scene from a movie. Yup. Would be a sin not to.

    Burning Man. You can still go with Tank Baby. There are a lot of babies. At least that's what I heard...

    ReplyDelete