Monday, July 26, 2010

Surface Tension

Goddamn.

I just deleted several paragraphs of not-funny, not-particularly-well-written updates on my friends. Despite what I'm sure are top-notch prayers and good vibes from you all, things aren't well. One's husband is dating, not quite two months after moving out. The other is having a miscarriage of a longed-for pregnancy. I feel sad and helpless and guiltily lucky, but also like the membrane separating my (currently quite good) life from their (currently quite awful) situations is very thin, indeed.

I don't remember feeling like this before. When I was younger and I'd hear about awful things, I would lock right into catastrophic thinking and have horrible fantasies about it happening to me. But at the same time, I also had this deep-down belief that it wouldn't, couldn't happen to me. It helped that I only heard about these kinds of tragedies on TV or in books or second-hand through a friend. At 25, I'd never been to a funeral other than an elderly grandparent. I'd never been struck in anger by a parent or partner. I was healthy. I was loved. I was white and middle-class, too, which couldn't have hurt in terms of sheltering me from some of life's ills.

While my anxious nature always imagined the worst and could whip me into a panic just by reading an installment of Reader's Digest "Drama in Real Life" (which, really, I should have known better), I never really felt fragile. My uneventful life, full of love and stability (and, to be fair, very few risks on my part), plus what was probably some youth-fueled sense of invincibility, combined to make this wall between me and tragedy. I understood intellectually that I couldn't protect myself from Life, I also had faith in that wall to do so. I guess you could call this innocence. Or naivete. Or stupidity. You know, depending on how mean you wanted to be.

I don't have that anymore. Not long after I turned 25, a lot of things happened. In a 15-month period: two co-workers lost children (one, an infant, died of congenital abnormalities, the other was 11 and hung himself), 9/11 happened, my mom was diagnosed with stage IV cancer, a friend's five-year-old daughter who had been in remission with leukemia relapsed and died, and a 4-year-old in the day care center (for kids who were HIV+) died of AIDS.

Well, Jesus. When I see it written out like that, I guess it's no wonder that that's about the point I remember feeling that wall start to crumble. I haven't even mentioned the panic attacks or the bike accident or when I broke my foot. Of course, good things happened in there, too. I got a dog. I got married. I found a day job that changed my life and steered me toward what would become my career. I don't remember that time in my life as being particularly sad or dark. It's just that I can look at that time as when I stopped feeling like "Eek! What if this Bad Stuff happens?!" and more like, "Yes. This stuff is going to happen." Not in an Eeyore-y, doomed way, but more resigned. Less innocent.

I no longer feel like there is a wall between me and tragedy. I feel like there's a soap-bubble membrane and right now I'm on the good side, the side where I can be a good friend to those on the other side that need me. Where I can count my blessings and remember that I'm lucky to have a loving, supportive, faithful husband (even if he gets weirdly proprietary about his washcloths) and a healthy, smart, laughing dancing walking baby (even if he has decided he can go down to one nap a day, parents' needs be damned). But I know that it wouldn't take much for me to fall through to that other side.

I don't mean to sound depressed or passive and resigned. That's not it. But neither is it some carpe diem, live-life-for-the-moment thing, not for me. It's more about the realization that life is brutal and beautiful and you have to have both. So instead you just accept the risks and go forth anyway. Not always boldly, not even always willingly, but because that's just how the game is played. And you take the good, you take the bad, you take them both and there you have....no, wait, that's The Facts of Life theme song. My bad.

I guess for me it's just about being wildly, quietly grateful in these moments and doing what I can for people on the other side, knowing that inevitably we will some day switch places.

7 comments:

  1. Yes. 150% yes. Everything's just a little rawer. The highs are higher, the lows are lower...and the lessons learned...harder, stronger, better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we've reached the age where more heartache happens and more mortality slaps us in the face. Pain is rare when you're young, excepting the pain of failed love or flawed family. Pain is frequent when you're older...death, diagnoses, divorce, betrayal, money problems...awful things happen the older we get and the closer we get to being a line on an actuarial table.

    I'm not dismissing your pain or being glib about our collective mortality. I've been feeling that thin membrane lately, too.

    Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, just wow. I totally get it... I've been in your place. That's a lot to go through in 15 months. Way to get smacked in the face by reality, huh? And I agree with what Elly Lou and Naptimewriting said.
    -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautifully stated. I'm sorry about your friends having all these things happen. And I'm still shaking my head in awe about the 11-year-old who hung himself back then.

    I have been thinking a lot lately about these sorts of heavy things happening and shaping you as an adult. I think it's because I've been writing a novel, and it's sort of about how everything changes when you're married and have kids and there's something else at stake besides you. I couldn't have written this novel even five years ago. So part of me is glad that things get a little harder because it has made me see outside of myself and given me tools to use in life. But when you're going through shit, it sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elly--Thank you for summing up beautifully what I was trying to say. The "-er" factor, I guess.

    Naptime--I didn't think you were being glib at all. I think another thing is that pain when you're young is often tempered by hope that things can/will change. As you get older, and have a better understanding of those actuarial tables, you let go of some of that hope. With that, ideally, comes some graceful acceptance, but...eh. I dunno much about such things. :)

    Jen--Thank you. I also agree with everything Elly and Naptime said. About basically everything ever.

    Fie--Yeah, that was terribly sad and odd and we never really got any details about whether it was intentional or what, because his mom just never came back to work. It was shattering to consider, though, because we all knew him and his six-year-old sister.

    I'm sending you positive writing energy for your novel...I hadn't really gotten my thoughts as far as the transition that happens when "there's something else at stake besides you," but that phrase definitely resonates with me. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the writing vibes! I realllllly want to get a draft done this month, and yet, it feels like there is no end in sight. Gah!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yours is one of the two blogs that I copy and paste the text into WORD so I can read each and every word carefully. This post explained why.

    ReplyDelete