Sunday, April 4, 2010

I'll Never Be Able To Show My Face Around Here Again

This is the last day of personally-imposed little challenge, and I thank all of you for being so awesomely supportive and pretending you actually wanted to read all about the most unflattering things about me. Tomorrow I go back to work and likely back to my post-every-couple-of-days pattern, which will hopefully allow for some more time for reading and commenting on all of your blogs, a task which I did not accomplish this week.

So, Fie Upon This Quiet Life asked, "Have you ever dated someone you worked with? How did it go, if so?"

Interestingly, this seemingly innocuous question provides a perfect opportunity for my final likely-to-embarrass-myself post (well, it's probably more accurate to say "my final intentional likely-to-embarrass-myself post"). Because the answer is sort of and I married him. MOTH and I worked together for two summers, although we didn't start dating until a couple years later.

Here's where the embarrassing part comes in: We met? At a Renaissance Fair.

Now, now, quiet down...I can't type with all that laughter. Besides, you'll wake the baby. Yes, yes, indeed...I spent my summers in late high school and college (and a few years post-college) performing a Renaissance festival, complete with accent, bodice, and an over-reliance on Kenneth Branagh movies for historical knowledge. I called paying customers "m'lord" and pretended not to know what a videocamera was.

You can generally sort the people who work at (or visit with any frequency) a Ren Faire into the following categories:

1) Faerie Folk--these are the hippies who love walking around in leather bikinis (just like in Shakespeare's time!), live for the afternoon drum jam, and wear glitter and wings and feathers without irony. They generally dig on the "mystic energy" and can probably tell you where the good 'shrooms are to be found in the parking lot.

2) D&D/Magic/Other Wizards, Vikings, Pirates, etc.--like their ethereal brethren, these guys are totally into this mythical world, and relish the opportunity to play dress-up and live out their fantasy play...whether or not it actually has any historical accuracy or relevance. There was this one guy who used to come every damn weekend (not a performer), in full loincloth and fur regalia. My friend Melissa used to call him Pronoun the Barbarian.

3) Historical Re-enactors--on the opposite end of the spectrum, these history buffs learn every damn thing there was to know about Elizabethan England, and are liable to corner you explaining why that turkey leg isn't really period, you know, because barbeque sauce wouldn't be invented until the 1800s when Edmund Kumquatch brought high fructose corn syrup to the New World. Or something.

4) Performers (actors, musicians, etc.) who want to entertain, and treat this as a job. However, they also dig the community that comes from performing with the same people for nine weeks in a row, year after year. This was me. This was/is my friends, some of whom actually work the Faire circuit, traveling around the country performing and making a living at it. And while I would understand why a "serious" theatre artist might look down on a Rennie, I can also promise you that it's not an easy gig. You're wearing hot layers of clothes, you're in character all the time, and everything you do is improvised in front of a live audience. You perform in all weather, for nine hours at a stretch. As a result, the people that I worked with are some of the funniest, quickest people you'll ever meet. Who can also juggle fire.

I was 15 when I started, and 25 when I stopped, and in those ten years, I made some of my closest friends, people who stood up in my wedding, people I've now known for over half my life. I met my best friend there. I met my husband there. I felt pretty there for the first time in my life. It is the home of wonderful, amazing memories of me transforming from a terribly shy nerd into a garrulous, (semi)confident proud-to-be-a geek.

So mock me at your leisure, but I know people. People with swords. And people who swallow them. We're fun at parties.

8 comments:

  1. I have to make out with Fie Upon This Quiet Life because that was the best post ever! I can totally picture you eating a ye olde drumstick and drinking a ye olde snapple while wearing some lace up corseted thing and carrying a tall stick.

    I dated a ren fair geek once. He was also a Wicken. Douchetastic.

    I can't stop giggling now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I would so not want to work for the same company as my sportsman. While it would be nice to see each other more, he watches me like a hawk. Makes me feel self concious like I have already done something wrong, when I have not.
    Glad to hear it worked out well for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Omigod! The Ren Fair? Really? That is high-larious!

    Wenches in costume! Bawdy gents in puffy pants! Humongous turkey legs! True Awesomeness.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Did you ever get to drink out of a massive metal goblet? I've always wanted to do that! Upon the realization that you can juggle fire, while wearing woolen clothes in the burning heat I have new respect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elly--You just described me circa July 1995, minus the Snapple and the tall stick. I was a madrigal singer, not a shepherdess.

    Soccermom--Well, I think it's worth noting that a Ren Fair isn't exactly a corporate setting :)

    TKW--I'm choosing to believe that you're saying this while laughing and leaning towards me affectionately, as opposed to snickering and backing away quickly.

    dufmanno--Goblet, occasionally. As a peasant, mostly a tin cup. And, um, it's not me who juggles fire. That would be MOTH. I can, however, wear the heavy clothes in heat. Still impressed?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Why, yes I am.
    Twirling fire is overrated.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My jaw dropped. Not because I am laughing at you. I am laughing because I am so happy. We LURV Renaissance fairs. We do! We go every year. And yes, we do wonder how people stay dressed up in thick clothing in such hot weather. For the love of theatre and the period. Must be. :-) I never look down on people working there since I know some (aspiring) actors do work in these places when they cannot find jobs. I love you even more after this revelation. I wish we knew each other IRL or that you are not under cover so I could see some pictures!!! By the way, did they do any crazy thing at your wedding?!

    So, now, what are you going to tell me to try and "scare" me away? huh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I love Renaissance fairs, too! I hadn't been to one in years, and last summer we went with our then 3-year-old. He LOVED it. He was mesmerized by belly dancers and the instrumentalists. We'll definitely be going again this year. I love that you met your man this way. So cool!

    ReplyDelete