Sunday, April 18, 2010

Possibly the First Time Brangelina Has Been Mentioned in a Treatise on Grief and Loss

Wow. So, um, who's cool? You guys are.

I didn't mean to post a big ol' "Hey, my mom's dead, plus I have to change my password" thing and then disappear for days while you all wrote such lovely things in the comments. I think about you all the time, I swear. It's just that right now, MOTH is working three nights and one weekend day each week, plus my full-time (and then some, lately) job, and...and...and...well, let's just say I don't know how Brangelina does it. (Grammar nerds: do it? Is "Brangelina" a plural noun?) (Humor nerds: would the Duggars have been a funnier reference?)

I started to reply in the comments, but it got so long, I just thought I'd write it here. Huge, weepy, embarrassingly effusive thank yous for all the kind words, thoughts, and hugs. Yes, yes, to those of you who mentioned writing about your own loss as a method of catharsis. And, of course, it was our own dear Elly Lou who (no relation to Cindy Lou Who) parsed it out so perfectly:

"I'm compelled to write about the cancer thing. Even though many people think I should just never speak of it again. But it was a huge momentous thing in my life that I think warrants documentation...if only so that I can purge it from my brain into a tangible record that I can file away somewhere safe...somewhere permanent...so I don't have to relive those moments over and over again for fear that some detail will be forgotten or trivialized. Then once it's out and safe and documented, it doesn't have to live in my head. Like waking up in the middle of the night to jot down a reminder to drop off the dry cleaning."

Yep. That's it, exactly. That's why I want to write it: not because I want to relive it, but because I worry that to forget the detail would be to trivialize what happened. And, while I don't want to relive the details, I don't want to forget them, either.

I think that what happens, at least for me, is that you tend to hang on to these awful moments, these stark flashes that can instantly take you back to a particular second, going through them again and again in your head. At first you do it because there is no choice, it's like your brain has to go through this loop to figure out that this is really what happened. And then it becomes almost comforting, in a weird way. Like, it helps explain why you feel so odd. You're walking through Target and everything is terribly normal, except that it feels like there's this invisible, thick film between you and that normalcy. You can participate in the rituals, the mundane exchanges with the salespeople, the pleasant surprise of a price slash for your favorite granola bars, and yet it's all weird and surreal and dream-like and you wouldn't be surprised at all if a bear walked out of housewares or if your 7th grade science teacher showed up with a test you hadn't studied for. And you need to relive those details to remind yourself that, oh, yeah, that really did happen, and that's why I'm like this. You need those little mini-blows to keep from getting hammered by the big picture, which is what happens when you do manage to forget for a while. (Also, those little details tend to be in the past, which make them easier to grapple with. It's perversely less distressful to remember how I used Mom's eyeshadow when getting ready for her funeral than to consider that she'll never meet her grandchildren.)

But then, after some time, you start integrating this New Reality into your life. It becomes part of you, for better or for worse. And you're ready not to be confronted with daily reminders of specific, sad moments. But letting those moments go doesn't feel right, either, because it's still a connection. It's still a part of you and your story. So those stories, those details, those moments can still exist somewhere, just not in your brain-box.

So I'm going to keep working on it. It helps to have a better sense of why I want to work on it, and it helps to know that y'all are out there with your own stories and willingness to share in mine. So many, many thanks to you guys.

What? I'm not crying. Shut up.



P.S. Homework! When do you blog? With my crazy job and MOTH picking up work and shifting nap times (curse you, DST!!) and the occasional desire to see a three-dimensional person outside my home, I'm finding myself feeling like I can't eke out the time that I'd like to write, to read and comment, etc. So you tell me: how do you balance your own writing and participating in the blogosphere with your job/kid/s.o./working on your velvet Elvis portraits? Am I just that lame? Is there, perhaps, a trick that I don't know? Or are you all just bending time to your very wills?

7 comments:

  1. *hugs*

    No advice on the time juggling thing. I'm just now having to figure that out. If you find a system that works, let me know. So far I've just given up cleaning and exercise. Brilliant, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Right now I'm having an easier time with the recent(ish) death of my father than I am with the recent(ish) NEAR-death of my son. (Did you see this on my blog? I've been writing about it now and then for the last few months.) Today, for instance, I wondered how long my son had stopped breathing. He was technically dead, I guess, when CPR was started on him. No breathing, no pulse. But he was eventually revived. I don't know how long you can be dead and then be brought back. But the incident happened when I was in the car, on the way to pick up my other son from preschool. The baby had been crying, and then he stopped crying. I thought he was asleep, but he was apparently dying. Today, when I went to pick up eldest from preschool, I clocked the time it took to get to the school from the point where baby stopped crying. It took five minutes. He couldn't have not been breathing that whole time, right? Or he would not have been able to have been revived, right? I don't know. What I do know is that I feel awful about it still, and it happened on January 27th. Yet things turned out fine. He's healthy now, and developing at a normal rate. But I could have prevented the whole thing happening if I had followed my instincts and taken him back to the doctor that day. (He had been at the doc the previous day, but he clearly got much worse in the following 24 hours.) Hell. I don't know. Maybe not. His doc's office is so far from my house, maybe if I'd taken him there he would have not been resuscitated. Sigh. I don't know if I'll ever stop questioning all of this, even though it worked out the best possible way. I must have PTSD or something.

    Anyway... I'm not working now, so I have more time on my hands than a lot of people. So I've been blogging a lot. I guess it helps me deal with my postpartum issues and the PTSD issues from the baby nearly dying. When I AM working, I find it difficult to make time for anything else. But I try to make time to write. It's one of the few things that I never let go of. I guess that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elly--See, I'd already given up cleaning and exercise when I had a baby, so, now what? I'm not giving up eating, and I still reserve my Glee time...sigh...

    Fie--Oh, sweet Fie. I'm so so sorry. This is huge and inconceivable and I'm so sorry it happened to you. (I saw you mention it on your blog and that you posted a link, but I couldn't get the link to open. I'll try it again.) And PTSD does, in my amateur opinion, sound reasonable in this case, complicated by post-partum stuff. Please keep writing, keep talking, and hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually have the ability to bend space and time so I just go back to that couple of solitary moments I had on the toilet and blog from there. Shazam.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tend to have a few (usually 2-3) days a week when I'm really active with catching up on others' blogs and commenting. I get up earlier on those mornings so I have more time.

    Then the other days I'm working (either on my own blog, or mothering or cleaning/laundry etc.) and I don't check in with people. Luckily, people seem to understand.

    But you are right. It's really hard to do it all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is such a moving post. esp. the part of the past is much easier than the future. That's why we laugh and then cry when we remember. {{{hugs}}} some more.

    I blog as a therapy for myself. Pure, simple, selfishness. My youngest child immediately picked up on it and that's why he hates it. ;-) I need to mentally purge things out of my head since I carry this internal dialogue with myself all the time. How do I balance all? As you can see, sometimes, and frequently lately, I simply become completely selfish and only WRITE without READING. It is less time-consuming to write than to read and comment since, well, I am not blogging to compose literary master piece, LOL. I already have this pretty much written down inside my head. I simply need to type it out. (That explains the lack of quality and coherence in my writing. Thank goodness for the label "stream of consciousness" and that's my story and sticking with it!) It does take more time to read and comment. So many of you have become my virtual friends and I am grateful for this community, this little slice of safe haven. When I am being "selfish", I do feel guilty about not reading and commenting as much. But I call my own parents maybe once a month...

    This is turning into yet another stream of conscientiousness thing. See? I use other people's blog for this selfish reason too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dufmanno--I knew it. Bonus points for use of "shazam."

    TKW & SubWOW--Thanks for your input. I know that it's not about keeping track, but I find myself often comparing my own progress (or lack thereof) to other, more prolific, posters/commenters. And I feel like I'm getting worse, not better at it. And I don't think it's selfish to write without reading; you're still putting something out there in the community.

    ReplyDelete