Sunday, May 16, 2010

The Bad Place

I realize I've been rather maternally focused lately around here, and for those of you who are not parents and have no interest in becoming parents, I apologize for the monochromaticity. And, yes, I believe I did just make that word up, but I like it. I have an English degree, which I'm pretty sure is a license to fabricate words. I also think that the verb form of "adhesive" should be "adhese." You adhese that sticker, the back of which is coated with adhesive. If it was coated with adhersive, then you'd adhere it.

Where was I? Right. Motherhood.

I have a wonderful, dear friend who just had a baby about three weeks ago. She called me yesterday, in A Bad Place. Those of you who have had newborns in your life might know about this Place. It's dark, it's scary, it's full of despair, and it lurks around what you expect to be a time of sunlight and soft-focus, gauzy clothes and the smell of Johnson's baby shampoo. I told her all the stuff that I knew that she knew (much of which she'd actually told me a year ago, when I called her from that same Bad Place): that sleep deprivation and hormones really mess with your mind, that I had faith in her that she could do this, that having these awful feelings didn't mean anything bad about her as a mother or about her baby or their relationship. I told her that I found great comfort in my midwife pointing out--at my appointment to deal with the mastitis, when I was weeping in despair about how was I supposed to rest and apply hot compresses when I had this constantly crying creature that didn't seem to like me much but insisted on being held by me every single second of the day--that the problem is "we're no longer in the long hut." She went on to describe how, biologically speaking, we're still designed to live in communities where you could sleep while your sister-in-law nursed your babe with her own, or your mother would tend to your other kids while you cleaned the new baby, etc. This was really comforting to me, this notion that of course it felt wrong and awful, because this isn't how we're meant to do it.

And yet, we do it. I used to tell myself, on the really bad days (or, let's be honest, in the really bad hours), that somehow people do this. People with other kids do this. People with twins do this. Single moms do this. Now, there was always the danger that this could then spiral into me feeling even worse, because I just had my one little baby and was still feeling like I was about to fall into the abyss (that's me, always looking on the bright side!), but for the most part, I tried to focus on the notion that this is survivable, so therefore I will survive it.

I told my friend all of this yesterday, as she sat alone in her apartment and I wended my way through a street fair with Tankbaby strapped to me, pressing my cell up to my ear so that I could hear my friend over the capoeira music and the street violinist and the ladies hawking tutu kits. And I thought about how, a year ago, I couldn't envision this day. If you'd asked me to imagine myself a year in the future, I would have still pictured myself with lank hair and post-baby belly and a screaming newborn, just one year more exhausted. Possibly something in the background would have been on fire.

It really can suck, those first weeks, and I wish people talked about it more. Of course, I supposed we'd run the risk of our species dying out, but still. I wish more people talked about those scary weeks after the elation has worn off but before your ability to function on three hours of sleep has kicked in, when you look at the sweet face of your child and think, what have I done? When you really need your wits about you, but they're dulled from lack of sleep and shock. When you could use some serious back-up from your partner, but he's sleep-deprived too and therefore doesn't have his own full tank upon which to draw to shore you up (as I put it to my friend yesterday, "He's getting just enough more sleep than you for you to hate him, but not enough for him to be actually useful to you as a resource").

So I'm trying to change that, and I'm asking you to help. I'm not going to ask anyone to share the worst moment, because I don't think I can write my own out yet, but if you'd be willing to share (either here in the comments or on your own blog) one of those awful, horrible, no-good, very bad new parent moments, I'd love to read it and share it with my friend. If you don't have one of those moments because a) you're not a parent, or b) you are some sort of alien being who adapted seamlessly to parenthood, you can either share a story that happened to someone you know (wink, wink), or you can tell me why you do or do not like the color orange. See, something for everyone!

I'll go first. I may have mentioned one or 57,209 times, that Tankbaby has never been a good sleeper. One night, when I was desperate to go to bed and he was squalling his head off, I was sitting with him in the rocker and began to rock, harder and harder. Now, this was a baby who liked his motion, and for a while we'd had success with him sleeping in the swing, set to its fastest speed, so a good brisk rock was sometimes part of the ever-changing magic formula to get him to go to sleep. But on this night, the rocking was not soothing to either of us. I held my crying baby tighter and tighter and pushed with my feet, smacking the back of the chair into the wall over and over again until I burst out, crying right into his little face, "What the hell do you want from me?" At which point, MOTH got up from the couch, stood in front of me, and calmly but firmly said, "Give him to me. Right now." I did, and folded over myself in the chair, sobbing. I just remember feeling so hopeless, so anguished, so guilty. I knew better than this--I have a degree in early childhood development, for chrissakes--and yet I had come to this. The Bad Place.

And remember, I said that this wasn't my worst moment.

And now, the obligatory happy ending: I took a break. I learned to ask for help. MOTH learned to offer it a little earlier than when I was On The Edge Of Madness. We survived. That night, and more like it. And I spent today in the sunshine with my boy, watching as he examined every flower, as he waved hello to man, woman, child, and dog alike, and I bit my fingers to keep them from grabbing his delicious hammy thighs as he walked. And that night, and those others like it, are just a part of our story now. I can't honestly say I hardly remember them, nor that I can laugh at them...no, not yet. But I can see them for what they are: awful moments in an otherwise blessed life. And yes, I know that's cheesy. I do not care.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I've gotta go gnaw on some babythighs. Possibly dipped in a cilantro-butter sauce. Nom nom nom.

9 comments:

  1. Your honesty is refreshing and dead-on accurate, sister. With my first child, I remember sitting on the couch when he was a newborn. I could see cars driving down the street, and I kept thinking, "That will never be me. I'll never be able to leave this house again." Because just packing a diaper bag for all the what-ifs a baby commands was exhausting. When I finally did make a trek out to my sister's (only 20 minutes away), my son peed all over me during a diaper change. I hadn't packed extra clothes for ME in his diaper bag, so I had to borrow her husband's sweat pants (because I was still tubby post-baby belly) -- and THEY WERE TOO SMALL and I about lost my mind. It was awful, but no, probably not my worst moment either!

    Hugs to your friend and to you for finding words to comfort her!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember many crying jags and the odd feeling that I might die if I didn't sleep soon but most of all I enjoy retelling this story.
    My first and second kids are only fourteen months apart so on particularly bad night I swung around in anger to scold the toddler with the infant in his car seat.
    Sadly the handle was not locked NOR was he belted in causing him to fly like a tiny crinkled bird straight out and onto the floor.
    I looked to make sure he still seemed somewhat okay popped him back in, handed the whole deal over to hubby and went out to cry.
    Good times!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ajm & dufmanno--thanks for jumping in the fray and being willing to share. I laughed the weary laugh of sisterhood when I read both of these.

    ajm: "I will never leave the house again." Totally. The too-small sweatpants! Aw, I just want to give you a hug and some nice comfy yoga pants.

    And dufmanno, FOURTEEN FREAKING MONTHS APART?! I have a 14-month-old right now and I am flabbergasted at the very notion of having a newborn at the same time.

    Also? "Tiny crinkled bird" is pretty awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might have blogged about this -- can't remember and too lazy to look -- but sometime in April or March I was so crazed that I took a blanket and beat the crap out of the baby's crib. (He was not in it, fortunately. He was in the swing, though, and that was within five feet of me whipping around a baby blanket like it was on fire.) Hubby heard the noise and thought I was kicking something. He rushed in and told me to get out of the room, that he would take over. I did, and he did. It was a very on-the-edge moment.

    I had some bad moments with my eldest, too, but they don't stick out in my head the way this moment does. Probably just because this one was fairly recent. And for me, that was really a violent moment. I have never been a thrower or a beater or a shaker. That's just not my style. I tend to cry and yell a lot, but not react physically. That was the worst part, to me -- just feeling out of control physically. But fortunately, my mind was intact enough to know that I should hit something that was NOT the baby or another family member. Thank god...

    ReplyDelete
  5. "this is survivable, so therefore I will survive it."

    This was how I survived. And on many night I forgot. Oh, Falling, this is a topic I dare not revisit because it involved how I was doing all this alone when I am not a single mother... Someone that was there did not chip in... After reading your post, I'm beginning to think that maybe it is time. I am pretty sure I was not the only new mom with a spouse MIA (physically there but mentally not there to help...)

    I can't remember how many times I screamed at the screaming baby "What do you want from me?!" When he didn't fall asleep on a car ride, I knew I was doomed. I felt the resentment of missing my firstborn's formative years (4 to 6) because of the baby that's extremely high-demand. My first born basically stopped having his mommy as soon as his younger brother was born. Then of course I now feel guilty because all I can remember about him being a baby and then toddler was how difficult it was.

    I am having those wishful thoughts that I could go back in time and do this all over again. To get it right. But you know what? I am so traumatized by those days I am scared of going back in time even if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anon,
    We've all been there.
    I remember the quizzical look I shot my husband when he announced after one week that he would be heading right back out the door to work. I believe I said something very much like "if you can fit through the door with the refrigerator shoved up your ass you can go." I called my mother AND father, demanded they clear their schedules for the next four weeks and come live with me.
    They did exactly that with each new child and I made sure that as soon as husband came home he took over.
    I'd like to have a magic do over button for about seven million mistakes I KNOW I made but you know what?
    They are 11,10 and 5 now and they are pretty nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fie--I remember the blanket story. I so know that moment. I once threw board books across the room for the satisfying thwack they made on the front door. I think that physical frustration has to go somewhere. If we were men we'd probably go to the batting range or something :)

    Anon--Like dufmanno said, we've all been there. That's what I'm trying to establish here, that good, loving, wonderful parents have these moments of awfulness. And I totally understand the desire to do it over, to do it "right," but I also think we need to be kind enough to ourselves to realize that doing the best we can is all that we can ask of ourselves. I hope things are easier for you these days...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I posted this comment in the wrong post and just realized it, sorry.

    You could send your friend here: http://thekitchwitch/blogspot.com/2010/01/down.html

    The Bad Place is BAD. I'm so glad your friend feels like she can confide in you and reach to you for help.

    ReplyDelete
  9. My dear Falling,

    Thank you for this post, and to your readers for their comments, and to TKW for the link to "Down." I appreciate being a part of your virtual long hut. :) Things are a bit brighter (for the moment), but I feel that I am always just one Bad Night away from the Bad Place. I know that this equation will change with time. I know that one day, she won't need to eat every two hours. T is four weeks old today, and I hear that things get easier soon. I may not believe it, but I know it.

    Love you Falling.

    C & T

    ReplyDelete