Sunday, May 9, 2010

Do Not Read Until 12:01 AM

If you have a baby, have had a baby, or ever plan on having a baby, you should read Anne Lamott's Operating Instructions. It's brilliant and funny and scary and heartbreaking and I read it three times in the last year and a half alone, first to learn, then to reassure, then to remember, as I went from pregnant to new mom to not-so-new mom.

Lamott's piece on (in?) Salon.com this weekend is entitled, "Why I Hate Mother's Day." And although the people-pleaser in me was all squeamish at the idea that some people might be offended, I agree with her. Not necessarily about hating the day, but I am, at best, ambivalent about it these days. I found myself nodding and murmuring, yes, exactly, as my heart broke a bit when I read, "I hate the way the holiday makes all non-mothers, and the daughters of dead mothers, and the mothers of dead or severely damaged children, feel the deepest kind of grief and failure."

I am, I'm fully aware, blessed beyond reason to have my healthy, happy boy, and for him, I want to celebrate being a mom. And I'm touched by the two cards at my plate this morning at breakfast (one from MOTH, one from Tankbaby, plus a crayon-pocked piece of paper that MOTH describes as an example of Tankbaby's "pointillism period"), and if MOTH takes the baby to the store later so that I can have an hour or two to do "whatever I want, because it's [your] day," well, who am I to complain?

This is only my second Mother’s Day, and I’m still adjusting to that being a part of my identity: I am a mom. Even writing that seems odd to me, still. When I think of “mom,” I think not of myself, but of my own mother. For the first 30-odd years of my life, Mother’s Day was about her. So I suppose it shouldn’t be surprising that this day evokes grief first, as the daughter who lost her mom, instead of the joy of being a mom. I fully expect that to change over time, but right now, I still cringe during the radio ads and snarl unnecessarily at the on-line florist coupons that bombard my e-mail and avoid the card aisle all together. It’s not as sharply painful as the first Mother’s Day without her (which, of course, happened to fall exactly one month after her death, because the universe is like that sometimes), but it’s still inexorably linked in my mind. It takes several minutes, or an outside voice, to remind me that this day can now be about something else. And for my sister, who doesn’t yet have any kids, this holiday is still one-dimensional, and it’s about loss. That will change for her, too, someday, as it continues to change for me. But I think we both know that it may never be totally without grief, without resentment, without jealousy.

And, as Lamott points out, it’s not just those of us without moms who are gut-punched by this holiday. As a preschool teacher, I think I’m contractually obligated to have the kids make some sort of sunny, cheerful Mother’s Day art project of some sort, preferably something that points out how quickly time flies and is guaranteed to evoke a few tears. And I did, in fact, have several little yellow and red handprints going home this week. But the words “Mother’s Day” were intentionally left out. Because in one of my groups, I have two kids with moms in jail, one kid whose schizophrenic, drug-affected biological mom gave birth to him on a psych ward, two kids whose moms have just up and left the family, one kid who was just last week put into foster care…you get the idea. These kids can take their handprints and cheesy poems home to whoever they like, but I’m not going to ask them to celebrate a holiday that is puzzling to your average four-year-old and devastating to the four-year-olds I work with. And we all know adults who fit into this category, as well. I would not trade my dead mom for some live moms I know. As Lamott says, “…many mothers were as equipped to raise children as wire monkey mothers. I say that without judgment: It is, sadly, true. An unhealthy mother's love is withering.”

And then I think of my friends who want kids but don’t yet have them. Like the rest of us, it’s not that it’s not painful on an ordinary day, but to have a day—and a day that is preceded by so much media hype, replete with blanket clichés and inexplicable linen sales—specifically designed to focus attention on the very thing we lack (be it a mother or our own motherhood)…well, it seems tedious at best, cruel at worst.

I guess I feel about Mother’s Day the way a perpetually single or recently divorced or widowed person feels about Valentine’s Day. And yet, it’s much more socially acceptable to curse Cupid and his boxes of chocolate. Anyone who hates Mother’s Day must be an unlovable commie, right? Well, maybe I am. And I suppose I make it worse by saying that, unlike Lamott, I don’t want my kid to boycott the holiday. I’m looking forward to those burnt toast breakfasts in bed and yellow handprints. I guess I’m hoping one day not to hate the holiday, or at least to hate it only on the (totally valid) principles that Lamott lays out, instead of hating it for what it does to me personally. I hope that one day I can hate it for being a holiday of exclusivity, instead of just because I’m feeling excluded.

Until then, I will continue to say and receive the words “Happy Mother’s Day” without rancor, but with a slight lump in my throat. It doesn’t mean I don’t want to hear them, it just means that they don’t make a card for what I’m feeling today.

8 comments:

  1. Hugs to you, to all those kids, and to all the adults for whom Mother's Day is just too confusing for all kinds of reasons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I might be a wire monkey mother AND a communist now.
    Great. Thanks.
    On a less sobering note, I'd like to add that we decided on no cards this year and a home fashioned vase of flowers stolen from the neighbors rose bush.
    Wire monkey mother commies can usually be counted on for petty theft as well.
    Hope you were able to have a moment of relaxation somewhere in there and that someone made you a kick ass breakfast.
    Also, I read this at 11:48 instead of 12:01.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see how someone who works with kids whose mothers have really let them down would hate mother's day. I didn't really think of it that way, but then again, I'm often living in my own contented bubble with my fingers squarely placed in my ears whilst I sing, "lalalalalala" to block out the insanity of the rest of the world.

    I read that article -- one of my friends posted it on Facebook. My reaction to it was the following:

    My take on mother's day is that I work hard all year, and for one day, I get pampered -- just like I pamper my kids all year. To me, it's an appreciation of goodness in your life. If your mom sucks, then don't celebrate mother's day.

    And I disagree that mother's day is a snub to women without children. It's not about that at all. Just how Christmas is not a holiday just to make non-Christians feel bad. The reason for the holiday should not be lost. Sure, mother's day is a "made up" holiday, but plenty of atheists would say "so is Christmas." Instead of dividing us more, holidays should simply be about the love in the world. If you don't want to celebrate, fine. But don't try to make other people who do celebrate into villains.

    After having read your blog, though, I feel a bit more softened on the topic. I know that father's day will be tough for me this year, since my dad died last September. But I will still try to make the day terrific for my hubby. He works harder than most people I know just to make our lives better. And even though I am suffering still from losing my dad, I do want hubby to feel like he's carrying on the torch of all good daddies. There's a tradition and a history of humanity in parenthood. The good parents should be celebrated -- not at the expense of non-parents. But simply as a thanks. Parenting is tough, and I, for one, want to appreciate all those who give their best efforts at it.

    Sorry for the book-length response. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just think of Mother's Day in the same way I think of all holidays - an excuse to drink. I'll have a white wine, please.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post makes me so embarrassed. I hate Mother's day, but for a completely different, and selfish and "oh woe is me" reason.

    This reminds me of a childhood memory: when I was in grade school, Mother's day was always a thorny issue and a weird day for my class because one of the kids lost his mom to illness when he was maybe in Kindergarten. In Taiwan, at least at that time, all children had to make the craft carnations with tissue papers: red ones if your mom is alive, white if deceased. I KID YOU NOT! So imagine this kid, getting white paper on his desk when all the others got red paper. I can't go on... I have never wondered how he felt until now. Oh my goodness.

    Hugs to you and Andrea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the hugs, all.

    Dufmanno, I have a friend who had her kid while getting her masters in social work. When people would ask her where the baby was, she'd casually reply, "Oh, she's with the wire monkey." When she told me this story, I knew we could be friends. Also, huzzah for stolen flowers!

    Fie, thanks for the thoughtful response. I had a lot of doubt about putting this out there, because I didn't want to offend or depress anyone, nor did I want to appear all bah-humbuggy. I certainly don't want to turn anyone into a villain (and, please note, my little family did celebrate Mother's Day, so I'm not actively boycotting it or anything). I was just trying to sort out my own ambivalence about it. I'll be curious to hear your perspective on Father's Day this year, and hope that it's not too hard for you. Hugs right back.

    Elly Lou--Seeing as how I don't drink, please to be having an extra ladylike sip or twelve for me.

    SubWOW--Don't be embarrassed--you can hate if you want to! :) And, um, wow to that red/white tissue paper thing. I guess I could have had my kids do something similar: red if you're living with your biological mom, yellow if you're in foster care, green if your mom's in jail...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always find the psychology experiments about mothers devastating. I laugh at the wire monkey mother references because of its pop cultural significance, but the experiment itself broke my heart years ago when I first heard of it.
    I hate Mother's Day because the expectations, that motherhood is idyllic, that mothering can be rewarded with stuff, that thanking a mom once a year is enough...that stuff sucks. I worked a lot less hard at jobs where recognition meant money and accolades and awards and respect. If my employers had ever given me a card, some chocolate, and some flowers, I would have quit.
    I resent the patriarchal tone of "give her some flowers and treat her like shit the rest of the year," I resent the thought that an hour or two to yourself is something to be slotted once a year, and I resent the fact that every one of my four mother's days have been filled with shrieking and tears and disappointment wherein I get less sleep, crappy food, and emotionally tormented as part of the process of "celebrating" me. I wish we didn't have Mother's Day because I wouldn't expect anything.
    (btw, "green if your mom's in jail"?! hilarious. Except not. At all. But still hilarious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Falling, you could send her here: http://thekitchwitch.blogspot.com/2010/01/down.html


    I am so sorry for what your friend is doing, but thank goodness she has you to help her navigate the Bad Time.

    ReplyDelete