Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Conveniently Bite-Sized

Sorry to have disappeared (immediate neurotic thought: is it presumptuous to assume that people care if I haven't written in a while?). Besides the Cold That Never Ended, there's been some goo at work that has sucked up my brain and I keep wanting to write about it, but being too paranoid to put it out on the interwebs. Everything that's not Cold or Work comes to me in tiny useless bites, like those "100 Calorie" pack versions of actual snacks:


Yesterday some preschoolers were headed over to a wooden boat and I heard one of them cry, "Come on, guys...Let's DO this!" Now, I'm not sure if you're getting the appropriate inflection from reading this, but imagine a frat boy exhorting his friends to pull it together for the last scrimmage of a football game (um...sports metaphor help, anyone?). This was not, sadly, followed by a series of tiny high fives. Except in my head.


In desperate need of something that turns my brain off, I have begun watching old episodes of 21 Jump Street on Hulu. I'm only four in or so, but so far I have to say? Not terribly impressed. I mean, this was big at some point, right? Did Johnny Depp's cheekbones really carry this show for four seasons? You'll note that I have plans to continue watching episodes, both in hopes that they improve and...well...the cheekbones, folks, they do not disappoint.


I recently came across this post on Ask Moxie. I'm a little embarrassed and more than a little anxious to admit that not only do I not have any disaster preparedness going on, I hadn't really thought about the need for such since, like, Y2K. I know we have water in the basement (in jugs, that is...not just, like, standing water) and some stuff in our chest freezer, but that's it. Although, at the moment, we are storing 1/7th of a cow for some friends of ours, so any time between now and Friday we'd have a better shot at survival. What do y'all have in the way of readiness for flood, famine, or zombie invasion?


Later tonight, we're supposed to go see our across-the-street neighbor play in his band. Turns out, he's the 2008 national yodeling champion. I have so many questions about this.


A friend of mine posted the following inquiry on Facebook: Skinny Elvis or Fat Elvis? Another friend replied that she couldn't stop singing the Fat Albert theme song in her head. "Hey hey HE-EY...it's Faaaaat Elvis!" You're welcome for that.

4 comments:

  1. I am BEGGING you. You MUST video tape the yodeling champion. It is the least you can do for the blogosphere. I. Must. See. Him. Perform. (vaseline optional)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh please, please, please video the yodeler??

    ReplyDelete
  3. There was yodeling. Yodeling was had.

    He has a website (www.larrywildermusic.com), but a cursory poking around revealed no yodeling-related videos. Clearly, this must be remedied.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So the video of the Yodeling? Ok. Fine. Is it going to wait till next year? I LOVED 21 Jump Street. Clearly we are a decade apart in age difference...

    ReplyDelete