Wednesday, December 2, 2009

How Can You Miss Me If I Don't Go Away?

It felt a little weird not to write yesterday. I didn't intentionally take the day off, all FUCK YOU NABLOPOMO, it just so happened that we really needed to grocery shop and then Tank wouldn't go to sleep and the evening just...elapsed.

As experiments go, I'd have to call my wee blog thus far wildly successful. As my best friend told me today, "Expect nothing, but hope for the best." I went into this blogging thing with very few (real) expectations (I'm not counting indulgent, quit-my-job-and-become-rich-and-famous-like-Dooce fantasies), but I was hoping that someone might find my little trifles amusing. The fact that I have such smart, witty, and all-around swell people reading and commenting this early in the game is the best success I could have hoped for.

And, of course, me being me, I take that sweet success, hold it close...and then twist it around and crush it until it becomes Pressure! To Do More! Because what if they like you now but then you don't write every day or you keep writing every day and run out of ideas or you keep writing maybe not every day but most days and they still stop reading because it's just too much?!?

Say, anyone out there need something simple and good turned into something complicated and anxiety-producing? Perhaps a simple "congratulations" that you'd like me to turn into paranoia over jealousy? Or maybe an excellent recipe that I can convince you is harboring salmonella? Any takers? I'll be here all night.

I guess that's all I have for tonight: many, many thanks for reading this past month, and a sweaty-palmed, dry-mouthed desperate desire to make you promise to stay. Can't say I don't make an attractive offer.

Oh, and this: So, at school, I have a couple of kids who like to open one of two doors in the classroom and run off. They think it's oh-so-fun to be chased by the silly big people. We can't lock the doors, so my assistants came up with the idea of putting Vaseline on the door knobs to hopefully slow the little Steve McQueens down a bit. This tells me that I either work with the smartest women on the planet, or that my job is populated by refugees from a Tom and Jerry cartoon. I'm good with either.

5 comments:

  1. Your neuroses sound unnervingly familiar. I can spin a good situation in NO time! Think of it as a gift.

    I'm pretty impressed with the Vaseline solution. Ingenuity!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I for one definitely consider your blog a success!!

    And you are not alone in your fears; I worry all the time if I'm doing things right with my blog... since I post every day, I constantly wonder if I am posting too much... Or is it still not enough? Is my content intersting? Stuff like that.

    Hey, you don't have to worry about me going anywhere- I've already nestled into your blog with a warm blanket and a cup of coffee, so I'll be sticking around for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hereby promise four return visits for every casual mention of vaseline. Do I rule or what? A gaurunteed visitor AND potential blog topics.

    ReplyDelete
  4. TKW: Yes, it is a gift. Sadly, others do not always seem to recognize it as such.

    Jen: Excellent. Lemme know if you need a refill.

    Buggin: Vaseline shout-out? Done for today. Get down and give me four, maggot!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Serves me right to come to the party late. 'cause DITTO to what TKW said.

    (As a gift to your finishing NaBloMoFo, my comment is SHORT)

    ReplyDelete