Sunday, December 20, 2009

For People Without Kids, There's a Joke at the End

I've composed endless blog posts in my head this past week. They all start, "I'm so tired."

I am really making a concentrated effort to stop complaining about Tankbaby's sleep (I do acknowledge that various people in my life might take issue with how that effort is panning out). It's been an issue since he was born, and, while it is hard not to think about it (considering how my sleeplessness affects my ability to cope, much less succeed at anything these days), worrying about it does not make him sleep more, it only makes me sleep less.

So, while this topic takes up plenty of space in my head, I am trying not to complain about it to others. Besides the fact that it's BORING AS HELL to anyone who's not me (I'd originally added "or MOTH," but I'm not sure that he'd want to be included in this little party), I try not to talk about Tank's sleep much anymore because I don't want the advice that is inevitably, well-meaningly given. We are doing attachment parenting (or at least our version thereof), and I feel good about that decision, but I feel defensive when questioned or challenged about it. I may have all this early childhood knowledge to back me up, but I still have the same self-doubt any first-time mom has. My standard line is, "I've tried everything I'm willing to try." Without getting into the philosophical or academic reasons why I won't let Tank CIO ("cry it out," for those of you who aren't familiar with the lingo...on the other hand, if you aren't versed in sleep-training lingo, I'm guessing this whole topic is already inducing sleep in you), I can only say that I, personally, am not capable of letting my baby cry himself to sleep alone. He does sometime cry himself to sleep while one of us is with him, or if he's in the car, but to me that's way different from sitting in the other room while he cries.

That's why I was so glad to find Naptime Writing. She writes about parenting in a way that resonates with me: equal parts committment to certain ideals and ambivalence about how living up to those ideals feels in the day to day. Reading her archives, I came across this quote:


"...why the heck bother with all the attachment parenting? (Because we wouldn’t have it any other way. Every time I complain about not sleeping, someone tells me I can let my child cry. But that is not a real parenting option for us. Why in the name of all that is nurturing would we do that? When said child can get up to use the bathroom by himself, get himself a cup of water, and use soundly developed coping skills to get back to sleep, he will. Until then, any kid at my house who wakes from a deep slumber screaming in fear and sadness gets his mom. End of story.)"

And that's the kicker: I know this is my choice. I know that there are other options, but for me, there aren't. Which means that I choose this hell. Which means that I don't get to complain about it.

Except, except, except...I am slower on the uptake. I have less patience--with everyone. I yawn constantly, probably appearing rude to the parents of my kids at school. I am cranky. I want to challenge myself at work, but can't seem to find the energy to change things up.

I know that, in a year or two, this will be a blip. It's temporary, which is sometimes the lifeline I cling to at 4 AM when Tankbaby has decided that he wants to sleep on his stomach, but then realizes that rolling onto his stomach makes him want to crawl. In his sleep. So that he crawls into the side of the crib. Again. And again. And again.

And until then, I'm holding on. Sometimes with more swearing and under-eye bags than I'd like, but I'm holding on.


And now, for those of you who stuck it out this far: On Thursday, a car cut me off. It was a Jaguar with the license plate "THE JAG." I assume the "-OFF" wouldn't fit on the plate.

Ba-dum-pum!

7 comments:

  1. Oh pooks, sorry you're so sleep deprived. I can't even imagine...and if it's ok with you, I don't think I will. I LOVE sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you found Nap. She is awesome. I wish I could give you a hug, because sleep deprivation is an evil bitch.

    But I'm laughing about the Jag.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, thanks, guys...I'm just sorry that I've been so absent lately. I did so well at NaBloPoMo, but I just hit a wall this month and felt dull and stupid most of the time. Then I'd go read you guys and be all, well, hell, I can't even think of a clever comment...and so the non-writing cycle would continue.

    We leave tomorrow for Chicago, where many people will want to hold Tankbaby, and I plan on taking them all up on it and napping as often as possible!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the joke at the end. Tools never realize they are tools that's what makes them tools... You can always complain about not sleeping enough to me. Or if you are worried that this may pigeonhole your blog, how about carving out one day a week and designate it as the day when you complain about Tankbaby's sleep habits (or lack thereof) and about idiotic advice you received on this subject? I went through the same thing with Mr. Monk. And I do believe different children have different personalities. We did CIO with our oldest, and it worked. With Mr. Monk? He cried until he threw up. Then he cried and yes, he did fall asleep out of exhaustion. Then he was awake two hours later. So did I HAVE TO let him CIO AGAIN, in one night? No f-ing way. I hate it when people say the kids are being "manipulative". Ugh. If the babies cry because they want comfort from you because some parts of their personality make it impossible for them to fall asleep on their own/by themselves is manipulative, then do we label as such all of our children's interactions with us then? What do you want them to be? Selfless angels? Mother Teresas? Hang in there. It is tough. No doubt about it. And you know what? You are so entitled to complain about it even if you did "choose" to do things your way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Never could do cry it out. Babies cry because they need us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah, the unsolicited and somewhat pushy advice from well-meaning friends and family. Well, all babies are different... just because something worked for them doesn't mean it will work for you. Unfortunately, some people just don't get it. Hey, you can complain to me all you want about not sleeping because I AM THERE WITH YOU! (Ok, not literally! I swear that's not me lurking in the shadows! But I am there with you figuratively... Nathan gets up at night, too and I am a walking zombie!)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know you IRL. Am I allowed to comment on this blog? I for one am glad you are open about such struggles with Tank. It helps me personally by showing me that things don't have to go perfectly with my own little BITO (see if you can figure it out), and in all likelihood, probably won't. That may not sound comforting, but I mean it to be.

    Love,
    Greg

    Just kidding. Simone ;)

    ReplyDelete