Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Making up for Lost Time With Length...and Then Some

Last night, I logged onto Facebook and found a message from a guy I knew in high school. Let's call him Mike, because that's his name. And also, because in 1989, everyone was named Mike, so I don't think I'm giving away anyone's identity. Anyway, Mike sent me a message saying, "Hi, I think you and I went to school together, if so, friend me so we can get reacquainted, if not, sorry." I wrote back, "Did you have a sister named _____ and take me to a dance once?" He replied, "Yes and yes. Why can't I friend you? The dance wasn't that bad, was it?" (The answer to why he couldn't friend me--and yes, I cringe every time I use that as a verb, but am not willing to type out add-as-friend every time--is because my privacy settings are up to HERE on Facebook, suspicious as I was of it when I joined. Even MOTH couldn't friend me.)

Now, class (and by "class," I mean GREG), this is a nice, appropriate way of attempting to reconnect with someone. Step 1: Have had an actual, positive relationship with them in the past. Step 2: Offer to "reacquaint" yourselves, rather than be overly chummy about "catching up," as if you'd last spoken on Tuesday, rather than 1990. Step 3: Demonstrate a sense of humor, as opposed to a...creepily cheerful desperation.

So, I went to check out his page. On the "info" tab, I learned that he is a fan of something called The Manhattan Declaration, which "addresses the sanctity of life, traditional marriage and religious liberty." Translation: pro-life, anti-gay-rights, and...well, I'm guessing by "religious liberty," they mean more "free to pray in school" rather than "free to practice your own religion without fear of harassment, threats of going to hell, or ridicule."

Well. OK, then. Now, I should point out that this guy was a senior when I was a freshman. We were in theatre together, and I had a big ol' crush on him (which I handled about as well as you'd expect a 13-year-old to handle...you know, blushing, giggling, punching him in the arm. He once told me, "when your body and your face catch up with your mind, you're gonna be quite a catch." I blushed, giggled, punched him and fell off the railing I had been perched on. Femme fatale? Why, yes, thank you.). He gave me a ride home a few times, but mostly I saw him at school. The next year, I became friends with his younger sister and spent time at their house. One year he did, in fact, take me to a dance, although for the life of me, I can't dredge up a memory of how I would have mustered the courage to call him and ask. Anyway, the point being: we didn't talk about big things. He might have been this conservative Christian all along. I think a lot of us were, by default, in high school anyway. But I remember this laid-back, sweet, flirty, slightly dangerous older guy...who is now apparently this politically and religiously conservative guy (these are all inferences I'm drawing based on his Facebook info page, so take that for what it's worth) who is a fan of his state's proposed concealed-carry law.

So we're IMing (yes, another noun-as-verb. I know it's obnoxious, but I'm trying to tell a story here, so let's just go with it, yes?), doing the whole what-have-you-been-up-to dance. Meanwhile, I also open a window and IM my friend C, directing her to Mike's page and asking for her input. Basically, I had a little freaky, "OMG, I just friended a suspected homophobe!" moment. C was all, um, I think at this point in your relationship, that's probably OK, freak. She was, however, all in favor of poking the bear.

C: ooh...start talking about breastfeeding

Me: hee. and my lesbian friends

C: yes. and how it ALL makes you feel so much closer to God

Me: yes. to Her.

I confessed a little more uneasiness, and C pointed out that "FB friending is low-commitment. It's kind of like having a one-night stand. Your standards don't have to be THAT high." She did point out that it was unlikely I'd choose this guy to be Tankbaby's manny, but that it was probably OK to be friends with him on Facebook.

(Then she told me a HI-larious story about a homeless guy cheerfully shouting at her, in her third-trimester glory, "But I came from KANSAS!" apropos of absolutely nothing. Delightful.)

So, here's the first question(s) I put to you: what are your standards for friending someone on Facebook? Does it have to be someone you'd be friends with in real life? Am I the only one who carefully weighs pros and cons and prior bad acts before clicking on "accept?" And what does that mean about me?

After Mike...um, went away (what do you do when you stop IMing? It's not hanging up, but I don't know that he logged off...), C and I continued chatting. I can only plead that it was late and I've been having long days, but I got a little meta on her, wondering if it was hypocritical for me to judge Mike for (possibly) being a judgy conservative. And yet, when I asked him what he was up to these days, he told me about his great wife, two wonderful kids, that he teaches martial arts (hee--I originally typed "marital arts," which is a verrrry different job). Then he finished with, "I do some evangelizing. I eat way more than I should, you know, all the regular kinds of stuff." I'm assuming he's referring only to the eating more than he should as "regular," but still...does this seem odd to you, to just bust out "evangelizing" in your list of hobbies?

C was of the mind that, yes, "people can be awful in so many ways, but if he's just trying to preach the love of the Lord...whatever. It's not my thing, but it's cool." And I had to take a second, because there are certainly things about the religiously and politically conservative that bother me because I feel they are morally or ethically wrong (homophobia), I actually don't disagree with C about the religious thing. Like, if you're preaching that my gay friend is going to hell, I'll hand you your ass in a basket, but if you're just preaching that God is good, well...I don't have a problem with that, really (you know, unless you're coming to my door when I just got the baby to sleep).

(Oh, and lest you think C's a pushover, she closed the discussion with, "...just as long as you don't attempt to shove it up my yaya." This is the same woman who told me once that she wanted to make a shirt to wear to a political protest that read "Keep your laws off my twat." Can you see why I go to her with my moral quandries?)

I think my reaction to people being uber-Christian-y is more of a dirt-kicking embarrassed teen, all, "Shut UP already." Because in the circles I tend to run in, it's sort of anathema to be so "out" about your faith/religion. And, I do believe in God. I was raised Catholic, and I definitely don't follow the white guy in the pointy hat (that would be the Pope, for those of you worried that my salt and pepper set was, in fact, representative of the Klan). And I am angry and embarrassed about the horrific shit that is done in the name of God. I'm pro-choice and think you should be able to marry whoever you want, as long as it's not MOTH, because he's taken. I don't understand God. But I do believe.

I think that I'm in the minority about this with my friends, and for all of our openness, religion is, for some reason, taboo. I don't think I know anyone my age who goes to church every Sunday morning, the way I did growing up. And the way I plan to with Tankbaby. I don't feel a need to raise Tankbaby in a particular religion, but I do want him to have a spiritual education. Ideally, I'd want to expose him to lots of different religions and let him come to his own conclusions as he grows up. I have this hippie fantasy where we go to a Baptist church one week and a mosque the next and a Quaker meeting the week after that. MOTH actually did a little bit of this himself in college, and I really admire him for it (at 20 I was not so much about broadening my spiritual horizons as I was about sleeping in).

I'm still mulling over a lot of this in my head, but I've been working on this post for two days now and it's getting ridiculous, so I'm dumping this out for now and we'll see where it goes. What I'd love to hear from you, if you feel comfy sharing, are your thoughts about God, religion, and how open you are about your faith (or lack thereof) with your peers. I'll admit to a certain amount of discomfort even writing this, so hopefully I haven't offended or alienated anyone.

More than usual, I mean.

10 comments:

  1. First of all the light ones: "when your body and your face catch up with your mind, you're gonna be quite a catch" That was some great line! I can see why it'd be hard to not like this guy. What troubles me the most is that most of these uber-religious people are really kind, helpful people. Like if your car breaks down, you'll be lucky if Mike pulls up 'cause you know he's going to help you out. I am fine with them as long as they don't preach to me. However, as you pointed out, now I wonder whether I am just burying my head in the sand 'cause you know they are praying to god for all the wrong (wrong imo) reasons and how could I be nice to them knowing what they do when I am not there to witness it? Huh. Now I am going to lose sleep over this. Thanks.

    As for the FB Friend thing... (Use the word proudly! Oxford Word of the Year means it has been sanctioned. It's a real word/verb and our kids are going to grow up use these words without irony. So we'd better get used to it...) I accept all requests from anybody that I know in real life that finds me. I have a very strict standard for whom I consider to be "my" friends. There are people that we have known for 10+ years that I still consider to be my husband's friends. Or acquaintances. Or neighbors. Or relatives (my husband's) I can't clearly explain the system. I just know which "bucket" I put each person when I think of them. Anyway, my point being, yes there is one! I don't see the Facebook FRIEND thing referring to "friends". It is a VERB only, exactly. (Am I making sense? It's after all almost 2 am...) And really, there must be people at work whose political (etc) views are opposite of yours. Is Mike really worse than these co-workers? Ok, this would be a moot (it IS MOOT!) point if you don't FRIEND co-workers. I accepted when they came-a calling'cause you know it'd be awkward to say no, esp. to a co-worker... And that's why I don't post much on my Facebook. I use it mainly to share kids' pictures. I talk about the weather. Although I do share my religious/political views (fan of rachel maddow. 'nuff said? a member of the gay marriage right group, 'nuff said too. LOL) I don't update my status with outbursts. It's like Christmas at my in-laws. Only it is every friggin' day. That's why I am on Twitter and my blog and I do it anonymously.

    When you talked about your religious beliefs (or rather, your beliefs in how religious beliefs should be handled, dealt with) and how you are anxious about bringing up Tankbaby, THAT's the exact reason why I love you as a person, through your blog posts. You know how I feel about religion, assuming you have read some of my posts. Not being presumptuous here, I just feel that this comment has gone way too long, and if you have read my posts on this topic, you know where my heart is. Very close to where yours is. Now go to bed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm back again to add some more points I thought of when I was sleeping. If this doesn't make me sound like a psychotic killer I don't know what does... 1. I DO say NO to Friend Requests from my 6th grader's classmates. WTF? They don't even know me? I just ignore them. 2. LOL. You said "Making it up with length"...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Um. I get nervous to comment when you're all profound and then Submom responds with a dissertation on moral ambiguity. Then again, I've never known when to say when so...

    1 - I'm a facebook whore. WHORE. I can only think of maybe 3 friend requests I've turned down. You can make different tiers you know, then those unknown weird people can just get filled under "limited profile" and they can't see much about you. Then again, I do most things out loud seeing as how I blog about vaginas under my real name. That's the reason (and the only reason) why I'll never be president.

    2 - God and I have an understanding. I live my life in a respectful, kind way while trying not to piss on her. She returns the favor. We respect each others privacy.

    3 - Your dude was in theater and then got all wicked evangelical? Super nice and funny? He's gay. GAY. Closeted gay gay gay gay. I bet he's in one of those "suppressing our gay urges for the glory of god" groups. PS gay.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I accept anyone and everyone who friends me on Facebook even if I detested them in the past. I need this because I am wildly insecure and hate to look unpopular.
    Sadly all of these losers are pointless facebook updaters. (should I drink decaf or regular? Oh no! More snow!, Hang in there!, it's time to take a dump, maybe I'll bring my laptop in the bathroom with me)
    I'm sick of facebook already but everyone says that I'm being too cranky about it so I'll shut up and suffer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Elly Lou and submom are both funny and smart. Dufmanno has a good point about fb being almost obsolete.

    So here's my thing about fb. If you share only really personal stuff on fb, then be judge-y about who you friend. If you only check it so see what other people are doing, friend everybody who asks. Just because you let a gay theater evangelical into your little window doesn't mean you're subscribing to his beliefs. I don't appreciate most people's religious beliefs. I really don't. And I don't want to hear about them. But I also don't appreciate most people's parenting theories, or work stories, or hobbies. And I don't want to hear about those, either. So God or marfia wars, christianity or cry-it-out, I don't want to listen to most people.
    Plus, the people the furthest from me politically, religiously, and personally are my family and I friended them on fb. So, meh. He's not Greg. If you have fewer than 50 friends on fb, feel justified in keeping the list small. If you have more than 100, you might as well add him, because you're on your way to being a fb whore. Embrace it. He called you an eventual catch. That's enough for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Keep your political views off my twat? Hilarious!

    I'm with Elly Lou. GAY.

    I am careful about FB just because there are some people out there I honestly never care to hear from or about again. I'm cranky that way.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, thanks, y’all for the comments. I do so adore you.

    Submom—Yes, exactly about the car breaking down. You know, as long as your same-sex partner isn ‘t with you and they don’t find your diaphragm in the glove compartment. Ahem.

    It sounds like we have similar systems for friending people—I basically go with the “people I know in real life” who I would like to know. I have accepted requests from college friends with whom I have little in common now, based on our shared history. I know I have friends who have different political/religious views than myself, I think that Mike is just the most extreme (it’s the difference between a post that says “Thank God for…” and a post that speaks about preaching on the sidewalk at Mardi Gras).

    And yes, you’re right to draw the line with your kids’ friends. I have received friend requests from families with whom I work, and I don’t accept them, either.


    Elly Lou—1. Facebook whore? Really? You? Well, I am SHOCKED.

    2. I adore your 40-words-or-less religious philosophy.

    3. When I started reading this comment, I had a mouthful of food. When I finished reading your comment, I had a dirty keyboard.


    Dufmanno—Yes, yes, amen and allelujah yes to the pointless posts. It’s not so much the subject matter as the writer. I have some friends who can make their sore throat or their kid’s food refusal interesting. I have others who make a trip to NYC seem like a tepid bath.

    Also, yay for desperate need to be liked! I knew there was something I liked about you.


    Naptime—I don’t tend to share overly personal stuff, but I am, let’s say, very conscious of what I write. Like, I might not publicly condemn cry-it-out, because I know too many people who have done it. I have, however, posted a mock Craigslist ad that read, “Free to good home: One baby. Well not so much “good” as “willing to come and pick up at 4 AM.” And then I pointedly ignored all the suggestions of books that advocate CIO.

    I have about 150 friends. Am I a FB whore or just a FB kinda-slut?

    Also, excellent point about friending family members. And 50 bonus points for using the phrase “He’s not Greg,” which I chose to read in the same tone as “it’s not meth.”


    TKW—I know. I keep telling her it needs to be on a t-shirt. You’d all buy that shirt, wouldn’t you?

    And I’m cranky in the same way. Mike doesn’t fall into the category of “people I never want to hear from again,” although there are lots of people from HS that do. Mike is the first HS person I’ve friended, so now we’ll see if the floodgates are opened. Which will stress me out, because, while I am cranky, I am also gutless.


    MOTH noted that I have a group of incredibly smart, funny commenters. I was all, DUH.

    ReplyDelete
  8. "when your body and your face catch up with your mind, you're gonna be quite a catch."

    ...Hm. Not to openly disagree with Absence, but I read that line as being pretty dick-ish. Isn't it like saying that "You're not pretty... yet." Perhaps I'm taking too dark a reading, but...

    (In Mike's defense, however, he may not have intended it that way. He probably meant it as a great line.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'll usually add anyone that I know and like. I generally don't add people I don't know because my paranoid mind wonders if it's a crazy ex hiding behind a fake page!

    BTW, I sent you an email!

    -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anon--yeah, I could see how it could read that way. It was said with affection and I took it more as a teasing, big-brother thing, implying that I was (and looked) young. Which is true.

    Also, never openly disagree with Absence. She'll cut a bitch, you know.

    Jen--I guess the upside of a horribly awkward youth is the lack of crazy exes. Or, um, any exes for that matter.

    ReplyDelete