Friday, January 29, 2010

Love Greg. LOVE HIM!!!

Oh ho ho, my friends.

Greg is back.

In my Facebook inbox this week:

Hey,

How are you? Hope all is well. Anxious to catch up with you. I have thought of you many times through the years. By the way, in case you don't recognize the name or the picture, it is Greg ______ and that is NOT a picture of me. It is Ed Burns. Hope to hear from you soon.

Love Greg

I couldn't make this shit up. Not even as a desperate ploy for a blog topic (I recently received my sister's blessing to steal mercilessly quote from her, and therefore have access to all kinds of brilliance. All she needs now is an alias, and an utter lack of desire to write her own blog and steal all of you away from me, and we're set for all kinds of sister-related hilarity. So I didn't need this particular bit of weirdness, although once I read it, I couldn't wait to share it with you all).

Now, class, can anyone tell me what is creepy about this e-mail? That's right: EVERYTHING ABOUT THIS E-MAIL IS CREEPY. Not the least of which is the fact that it's the fourth freaking e-mail he has sent. Also? The omitted comma in "Love Greg" makes it sound more like a command than a closing. Also? I know that there's a Facebook game about changing your profile picture to a celebrity, but would you choose the week you use a different photo as the best time to try to stalk reconnect with someone? Also, FOURTH E-MAIL. WITH NO ENCOURAGEMENT FROM ME.

Now, I believe there is some way to "block" someone on Facebook, which is probably what I should do. However, as far as I know, that will basically have the same effect as ignoring him, but without the added bonus of possible blog fodder. I suppose it is cruel to want to write a response to him solely so that I can share his response with you guys, and not much kinder to want to write a response just to point out how terribly, terribly weird it is that he keeps writing to me.

And writing to me without acknowledging the previous e-mails that I've ignored. Does that seem odd to you? And by "odd," I mean, "clamoring for a righteous reply quashing any possible hope of future friendship as well as illustrating current inappropriateness."

So. You tell me. Are we beating a dead horse here? Shall I just block him and have done with it? Or shall I write to him, politely but firmly asking him what the hell he is thinking and is he perhaps on drugs and also I am married and my husband is a giant 'roid-raging cop. With a gun. Or perhaps that I'm a giant 'roid-raging cop.

God, I hope I'm not blowing my chance with Edward Burns.

9 comments:

  1. All's fair in blogging. Do it. Poke the sleeping snake. DO IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What's creepiest is the familiarity he uses when contacting you, like you are the best of friends and it's a terrible shame you haven't been in each other's lives. Eeek.

    What to do about it? Heh heh -- I enjoy the blog fodder. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ugh, that's just creepy. The rational part of me wants to recommend just ignoring him. After all, when you ignore unwanted behavior, it's supposed to go away, right? But on the other hand, I am intrigued as to what he's thinking, why he thinks it's ok to cyber-stalk you, why he pretends like each email is the first one he's ever written you, and what's up with the creep factor he's just oozing all over the place. Ok, maybe the dude simply lost his mind. Maybe there's no point in trying to figure it out. It would be like that movie The Cell with Jennifer Lopez...

    Well, I doubt he's that crazy, but seriously? How can he not realize how creepy/stalkerish he's being?

    Yuck. I feel all slimy now.

    -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ummm, I think you might need to LOVE GREG! He seems like the type who "WON'T BE IGNORED DAN!" Sorry, I don't usually quote in all caps from Fatal Attraction but this seemed a particularly fitting time to do this.
    If you do submit a pic of yourself or hubby as a cop on roids, I would also like to see that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I totally vote you keep blogging his emails, but do not reply. See how far it goes. Like the time a telemarketer called and asked for Ms. Whatever and I said, "I'll get her" and then just listened and timed how long it took before they hung up.
    Do not answer Greg. Do not LOVE GREG (though dufmanno may be right about the futility of ignoring Glen Close). Just keep milking this. It's damned funny. What I REALLY want to know is if you're the only one on his list. What if every month he checks off the "no reply"s and tries again. And I wonder if he keeps that list on Excel, like I do. I mean would. if I had such a list, that I monitored daily for responses and such and tabulated by hours, days, and weeks to response. Hypothetically. Though I don't. Really.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hee. You guys are awesome. I started to write replies back, but had so much that I just added another entry.

    I will, however, be on the lookout for Glenn Close. Bitch crazy, yo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ANYTHING for blog fodder. That's all I have to say.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMwCW--Hi! Welcome! I am, as you may have noticed, a bit shameless about collecting blog fodder. Glad to be enabled by y'all in this quest.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the new motto for us all "Anything for blog fodder!"

    I wonder whether Greg has become a BOT? I vote for keeping on blogging about it and seeing how long he keeps on emailing you. BUT I'm also happy that your sis gave you the official blessing. (Or was it because you blackmailed her with Love Greg or something?)

    Facebook has become a plight in my life now that my 6th grader wants to be on... Ugh.

    ReplyDelete