Wednesday, January 27, 2010

If Only Jack Had Invoked This Rule

So, I think I've mentioned that I really love my job. Some parts are really frustrating (see: today's home visit where I was trying to talk to mom about her concerns about her 5-year-old's behavior while he was upstairs playing Halo on Xbox, occasionally coming down to tell us about how he "shot that guy right in the balls"), or sad (my second home visit, to see a 4-month-old who was exposed to meth and alcohol prenatally), but other parts are delightful (said 4-month-old is actually doing quite well, considering, and gave me gummy smiles).

And sometimes? My job is absurdly awesome.

My classroom is in an elementary school, and the older kids had recently made posters about school rules that were then displayed in the halls. Yesterday, a not-quite-five-year-old looked at one and said to me, "This says 'no yelling.'" He was right. When his mom came to pick him up, I told her about it, because I sure didn't know that this kiddo was either recognizing words or interpreting pictures. She was surprised as well, so we went back to the picture and I asked him, "What does this say?" He examined the picture closely, pointed his little finger and said, "No...yelling...giants."

Well, actually, that's pretty close...


I notice he didn't address the disembodied feet, nor did he interject the word "hydrocephalic" before "giants," but he is only five.




4 comments:

  1. ...and today I learned the word "hydrocephalic" which is about nine hundred times better than the terms I'm learning over at my blog. Thank goodness SOMEBODY is teaching me words I can use in job interviews.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your spirits so much: the ability to see the good and the humorous in the midst of all the chaos that you witness day in and day out. This post brought a big smile to my face.

    p.s. I had to look that word up too. (At first thought it has something to do with... you know, phallic...)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew the word because one of my North Dakota neighbors had the condition.

    How wonderful to see that your students have deep pockets of clarity that you hadn't known were there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I live to serve. Next week, there will be a spelling test and we'll cover diseases of the nervous system.

    ReplyDelete