Friday, November 19, 2010

If You Can't Say Something Nice

Yeah.

It's been one of those days, at the end of one of those weeks.

Luckily, I have all of next week off. Except for the day I'm going in and not getting paid, because I have to have to have to get caught up, because that constant screeching in my head is getting louder, and at some point it's going to drown out the constant screeching of my kids. So I spent a little time today getting all hinky about how the Department of Ed keeps adding paperwork requirements with one hand and taking away funding (and therefore, staff and time) to meet these requirements with the other. The whole agency is nervous and on edge, the general feeling being that we're lucky to have jobs...jobs that are rapidly becoming impossible to do. Or at least, to do well or meaningfully.

So! (claps hands briskly) Let's ignore that. And look! Over here!

Growing up, one of our traditional holiday viewings was a little thing called Emmet Otter's Jugband Christmas, a little special that Jim Henson made back in 1977. Based on the children's book of the same name, it's a very Gift-of-the-Magi-esque story about a mother and son otter, a talent contest, and a washtub. I defy you to watch it and not have your cockles warmed.

We used to watch it on a rapidly-decaying VHS tape, labeled with Sharpie, taped off of TV with the commercials paused out. A few years ago, they released it on DVD, which means that I can enjoy it without feeling like each viewing is one step closer to the disintegration of a cherished childhood memory.

So, rather than blather about Job Woes, which is fun for exactly no-one to think about, including me, I direct your attention to the following. As much as I love the Muppets (which is a LOT), I love Muppet outtakes even more:


2 comments:

  1. The rolling drum outtakes? Hahaha! Now THOSE would be fun people to work with!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know! Excellent, yes? I can't tell you how many times I've watched that. I laff and laff. Every. Time. "Shut up, Emmet" is now a staple conversation ender in my family.

    ReplyDelete