Friday, November 26, 2010

Phoning it In

I got nothin' today, kids.

I am sleepy and full of half-formed thoughts and not an insubstantial amount of carbs, and the call of my warm bed is so loud I can't hear myself half-think.

I'm a little embarrassed that I'm petering out so lamely tonight, and am already panicking that I won't be able to come up with anything else for the next four days (and then...what? What exactly do I think will happen if I fail at NaBloPoMo? I guess I don't really know, since this is only my second, and I did manage to write every day next year...maybe they hit you with sticks or something. While publicly shaming you. And making you eat pineapple. I really hate pineapple. Jeez, I can't believe I'm not writing more tonight--I'm so clearly on my game, here.).

I offer up the following distractions:

1) While going about my business with Tankbaby today, I listened to archived episodes of NPR's Pop Culture Happy Hour. I enjoy it inordinately, especially considering that, given my limited exposure to pop culture these days, I don't get a third of the jokes. But I enjoy feeling like a part of the smart, funny kids' table.

Part of what they do in every episode (issue? session? what do you call a unit of radio?) is end with a round of What's Making You Happy This Week. In that vein, allow me to share something I just discovered that is making me happy this week:

2) Backwash, a strange, strange little web series starring Joshua Malina (of Sports Night and West Wing fame) and featuring guest stars like Allison Janney and Jon Hamm. It's very strange and stylized and kind of impossible to describe. Or, at least, describe well, apparently. But if you have seen minutes at a time to spare and want to enjoy the adventures of someone named Jonesy, I recommend you stop by.

Now, go forth and enjoy smart, funny, people who are stronger in resisting the lure of the warm bed.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the heads-up on Backwash. It's insane! And it's very, very, funny. And a sick cast! Well done finding it!

    ReplyDelete