Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Because Every Freaking Day For a Month is A LOT OF DAYS, YO

This is likely to be short and a little lame...it is already past bedtime and I hit a wall back around 2:30 PM that I haven't quite managed to climb, lo these eight hours past. You know when you get suddenly overwhelmed by a tiredness that is almost in itself relaxing? When your body feels almost like it does after a massage or (if you're a hair slut like me) after getting your hair brushed? It's a liquidy heaviness that saturates your limbs and slows your reflexes. You can still speak, but a little more slowly and a little less coherently than you can at the top of your game. It's the point where you can maintain a conversation, but find yourself needing to prop up your head on your hands, your elbows on your knees, your body on a table...yeah. I'm there.

So forgive me and I promise that tomorrow I'll write something a little more engrossing. For tonight, I leave you with the following installment of Preschool Kids with Special Needs Really Say the Darndest Things, So All You Typically Developing Kids Best Step Off:

Scene: social skills group, me and a particularly spunky 4-year-old

Me (flashing the lights): Clean up time!

E: But I wanted to flash the lights!

Me: Sorry, E, I didn't know.

E (with an almost frenzied reassurance, the way you'd try and convince a child to stop crying): That's OK, that's OK, I still love you.

Me: Um...good to know. Thanks. I'm glad you still love me.

E (matter of factly): Yeah. That's what I tell all my adults.


End Scene.

1 comment: