Monday, November 9, 2009

Mother's Little Helpers

So, for once, I had a topic all picked out for my daily blog. That family I mentioned? Today I attended a meeting with DHS and the other service providers (community health nurse, respite care, etc.) and we all shared our experiences with the family. And those kids may end up in foster care, in part as a result of this meeting. Which is...kinda heavy, really. Some people at the meeting were very clear and direct about their opinion about pulling the kids. I hedged a bit. For one thing, that's outside the scope of my job to express such an opinion, but for another, I found it hard to whole-heartedly endorse the trauma that will follow. Do I worry about the safety of the kids? Absolutely. Do I think pulling them from the home is the answer? Well, not a good answer, but short of inventing the ability to turn back time and re-raise their parents, I don't know what answer I'm looking for.

I guess it comes down to: I hate that this is where we are, but I would (obviously) hate even more for something to happen to those kids.

I tried to make it clear that, whatever happens, I think it would be good for the 4-year-old (who I case manage) to be able to continue attending my class. He's made such progress, and, while I fully expect regression if he does go into foster care, at least he'll have some consistency. It's not that he needs me as a teacher, that I'm some miracle worker, it's that I'm here. Day after day, trying to convince him that an adult can be trusted. And I think he might be starting to believe me.

So, anyway, I came home a little...pensive, let's say. And then, in fairly rapid succession, a number of events conspired to cheer me up:

1) Tankbaby smiling through the window at me as I walked up the front steps. You have to understand that I have produced the fattest baby in history, so when he smiles, you get, like 30 chins and cheeks that go up and out and threaten to eclipse his ears. I defy you not to smile back at him. He could cheer up Morrissey.

2) MOTH's executive decision that our evening dog walk should be to the Thai place, where we would pick up Hot Food Prepared By Others, one of my favorite meals.

3) Tankbaby crashing out on the boob while I listened to Aimee Mann and re-read Sundry's blog archives, hoping to be reassured that it takes a while to get the hang of this blogging thing (Instead, I just muttered to myself, "well, someone certainly never heard of humble beginnings..." Side note: She was writing about how, in 2002, she was late to the blog party. What does that make me?)

4) Pulled up my little zygote of a blog and found my first comment! The Absence of Alternatives likes me! She really likes me! Not only that, she reads me! There's someone out here! Hi!!! Hi!!! (waves frantically)

All in all, a lovely evening to put a balm on my morning.

1 comment:

  1. *blush* You know what TV show title I though of when I was leaving comments and officially started my stalking you? "Curb your enthusiasm". I was like a puppy finding a bone. The way you said it made me sound way more important... I was merely lucky that I walked into your blog and walked out with an addiction. Ok, maybe not so lucky after all when I put it that way. I am amazed at how you keep your professional life apart from your emotional life. I can't even imagine how hard it is. AND you don't sound jaded at all. You sound sincere, genuinely enjoy and believe in your work. How do you do that?... It amazed me when I read through your posts.

    ReplyDelete