Sunday, November 1, 2009

Because What the Internet Needs Now is More Navel-Gazing

Ahem.

I am not what you would call an early adopter. I am not the first anything. I am the one who, when the drill sergeant says, "Any volunteers, take one step forward!" takes a step back. This applies to TV (I only watched West Wing once it was on DVD, loaned to me by my far hipper father), fashion (although, so help me, I don't care how outdated it makes me look, I will not wear skinny jeans), and all things technological (although I am considering getting one of them new-fangled iPhones...next year). So it is only now, in 200fricking9, that I am finally getting around to writing a blog.

It's not that it hasn't crossed my mind. My move across country, my mom's five-year battle with cancer, my work with kids, having my own baby...oh, the entries I composed! In my mind! And never wrote down! You should see 'em. They're really quite good--humorous, but with a touch of pathos. Biting, witty, completely fresh and original...it's a shame, really, because chances are that my talent has already peaked and I have naught to show for it.

But I do have a baby now, and interestingly, I find myself more productive in some ways. Probably because I can't just loll about in my preferred state of inertia; if I want to get something done, I have to make time and the necessary preparations to do so. Being aware of this, I don't just assume that I'll get to something--I deliberately plan, strategize, and delegate as necessary. Otherwise, I neither eat nor bathe.

So I thought I'd give this a try. Coincidentally, this is November 1st, traditionally the first day of NaBloPoMo, so it seems like a good opportunity to get in the habit of posting and publishing.

So here I go! Into the Great Blogosphere! I follow my illustrious predecessors, full of both optimism and humility! I shake off my fears and trepidations, screw my courage and look to the east! With a deep breath, open mind, and nimble fingers, I LEAP! THUS IT BEGINS!!



So, um, what do you guys have to eat around here?

3 comments:

  1. Navel gazing or not, I walked into your blog, and I couldn't forget about it. (I can't remember how, maybe the NaBloPoMo randomizer?) Anyway, I had to leave you blog when I chanced upon it, I emailed your URL to myself so I would be able to find my way back. And I couldn't stop thinking about your posts... The one with Vega's Luka in which you talked about your work. Why am I going on and on about how I couldn't leave your blog? Just want to let you know that there is someone out there who is loving your blog. All 8 posts of them. And I want to believe I am not the only one. I dare not leaving a comment on every single one lest I come out as a crazy stalker. But I do have something to say about every single one, all along the line of "I love it!" "I enjoy your observation of life!" "I enjoy the ramblings the most!" Before you call the police, I will bid you good night. You've got something wonderful going on here. Thank you. By the way, your "About Me" is one of the funniest, wittiest I have seen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh. Golly. I'm all a-blush and giggly over here. I'm like the girls' side of the gym at a junior high dance. Thank you so much for your kind words...now off to check out your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can really empathize with you on the whole not-being-first thing. And THANKYOUGOD I am not the only one who refuses to don skinny jeans. Hello, '80's! They were bad enough back then, why would anyone want to do that to themselves NOW? I mean, talk about making one's butt look MONSTROUS! (Unless one is lucky enough to be like a size 0... which I AM NOT!)

    I'm slowly going through and reading your posts and love what you have to say!
    -Jen

    ReplyDelete