Tuesday, November 24, 2009

If You Drink At Every Parenthetical in this Post, You Probably Should Not Drive

How awesome is my sister? You haven't heard the last of her...I have a few other e-mails (including one with the subject line "Why I Am Not Allowed to Have a Blog") saved up. I can't believe I didn't think of this before...I could have meted them out throughout November and saved my own thoughts--all six of them--for later, once the NaBloPoMoPre (National Blog Posting Month Pressure) is over.

I haven't told my sister about this blog. What do y'all do about the whole anonymity issue? Do you have a chosen circle? Are you totally incognito? Reasons for/against?

Personally, I have told only three people about this blog, for a number of reasons:

1) Truthfully? I wasn't sure I could stick with it, and thought it would look quite lame to make this announcement of My New Project, only to have my enthusiasm wane once it became hard, time consuming, etc. (see also: guitar, knitting, learning Spanish, shaving my legs on a regular basis).

2) I wanted the freedom that writing anonymously would provide. I like that I can write for my loyal cadre of readers (you don't mind if I call you loyal, do you? I mean, I know you haven't had to prove your loyalty in a fight or anything, but I choose to believe you'd totally have my back) and just come at this in a very tabula rasa (oh, that's right--I went to the Latin. Booyah.) way. I'm not thinking about "well, I can tell Person A this, but if I tell Person B this she's gonna get all..." Not that I want to offend anyone, but I tend to be a very people-please-y person, so just having a little interweb distance is incentive to be a little more honest. Should I offend you and you decide you don't want to read anymore, you can just stop and I can just assume you were struck by lightning or something. No pressure.

(On the other hand, when I read up on how to start a blog, I kept coming up against the warning that you should always write as if people you know will find your blog because [ominously] they will. Which is kind of a buzzkill, really, albeit probably good advice. Not that I planned on slandering my nearest and dearest, of course, but you know when you have that interaction with a friend and you still love them and it's all fine but you really, kinda just want to vent about it for a while? And be right, even though of course we're all unique snowflakes with our own fresh perspectives...anyway, I do try and keep in mind that anything I write could someday be found by someone who knows me. I dunno...is this something y'all worry about?)

3) It's nice to have something private and my own, you know? Something I'm doing just for myself and only I need to know about its success or failure.

That being said, of course, I did tell three people (MOTH and my two oldest, closest friends) and the reason for that is simple: I cannot SHUT UP. Not that I can't keep your secrets, of course, but I sure as hell struggle with keeping my own. I totally would've caved eventually, either to be all, "Yay! I-have-a-blog-and-all-these-readers!!" or "Waah! I-have-a-blog-and-no-one-reads-it!" and then I'd have to explain why I didn't tell them earlier.

So I don't know. I'm thinking about telling my sister, if for no other reason than I should probably get her permission before disseminating her writing all over the web. On the other hand, she might start her own and then you'd all leave me for hers. Hm. Maybe I haven't thought this through enough.

(P.S. Just look at that last line: thought, through, enough. Can you believe any of us learned to read/write/speak this completely disorderly language of ours? I mean, I consider myself a grammar and spelling nerd, but even I have to admit that English is all effed up.)

9 comments:

  1. My sister does not know about the blog, because at some point, I'm sure I'll write about her, and it's complicated.

    My folks know, and they read it, and they're alarmed at my language, but I told them to fuck off or don't read.

    It's a sticky wicket, isn't it?

    And, on that note, I am going to say that you are right. The English language is effed up. Sticky Wicket? Where did that phrase come from?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is it wrong that I had no trouble following that stream of consciousness? Maybe you have some sort of freakish alien ability to implant your thoughts into my consciousness so that it all seems perfectly logical to me. Wait. Stop it. Do it again. I'm dizzy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I had a conversation like this about my blog. For us personally, we decided to just be open about who we are, our real names, and who we told about the blog because we wanted a blog that people can identify with and feel a connection to. Now, that's about as far as the openness goes. No addresses, or the city we live in, last names, etc. But I'm not worried about what people think about me; I don't and won't talk about other people or write anything down that could haunt me later. Plus, yes I believe that even if I were writing annonymously, I could still be found.

    What's funny is I've told everyone I know about my blog. And they are either not reading it anyway or are lurking in the shadows because they're not leaving comments or even acknowledging anything I've written in real life. Which sucks because we have ads that are begging to be clicked. Ya know, for all those TRILLIONS of diapers we have to buy for Nathan.

    It all boils down to you and your comfort level.

    And I hope you keep up your blog because it's an awesome read! I love it! I love it so much that I could skin it and wear it!

    And I've totally hogged the comments again... I'm sorry!

    -Jen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the title of this post. I need to stop by to say hi, but I need to go focus on Mr. Monk since it's his birthday. BUT I will be back 'cause THIS topic hits right at home. From your loyal reader aka NOT Love Greg

    ReplyDelete
  5. Short answer for now because I need to clean up the house and put together a grocery list for Thanksgiving... Parents-in-law flight arrives tomorrow at 9 am! I am anonymous not because I am afraid of stalkers (Not that famous yet so no need. LOL) but because I am worried that someone from work may chance upon my blog and then the whole company would know. I don't talk about work still since I am paranoid. I really want to complain about being the only woman in my office sometimes but I refrain from doing that now since well, just in case. A few of my very close friends who I can trust know about my blog. My husband knows but does not read it often. Sometimes I wish he didn't since I wanted to complain about him really bad often... None of my family knows. Well, my side does not read English. My husband's side... Well, let's just say my MIL is a devout Catholic and my FIL thinks Fox News is the greatest (for which we have made fun of him and he's ok with it...) They are really very nice and very kind and they treat me like their own daughter. We get along fine since we do NOT talk about politics or religions. Again though, I don't complain about people in my life really JUST IN CASE. Any passing complaints directed towards people that you do care are best left unwritten. That's my take. Because you never know when the written thing is going to come back and bite you...

    If you do tell your sister about this blog, and if she does want to start her own blog, you two should think about hosting a blog together. This way it will definitely ease the burden of having to write a post every day (or even every other day). That being said: I don't know how you would deal with "popularity contest", "competition", and "jealousy". I am human, and I am bound to feel jealous if my sister's posts are more popular than mine on the same blog... Think about WHAM! as an example... ;-)

    (Sorry for bad grammar and yet another long comment!)

    p.s. Totally dig stream of consciousness writing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um, Jen and Submom? Never apologize for long comments...I am a newbie bloggie attention whore, and love every response I get.

    TKW--now I want to hear about your sister. Also, according to the Great and Powerful Wikipedia, "sticky wicket" comes from cricket! And I'm just enjoying the cadence of that sentence. Say it out loud, won't you?

    BugginWord--I promise to use my powers for good. And to get cookies. Cooookieeessss...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh hey, just found your blog and can't wait to read more! Very enjoyable. If only I could quit working and become a professional blog finder . . .

    It is a tricky question, that of anonymity. I am out as a blogger, I suppose, and there's good and bad with that.

    The bad: I'm a teacher and would LOVE LOVE LOVE to bitch about my students (sometimes), my coworkers (sometimes) and my district (forever), but alas I cannot if I wish to continue working there. I may start up an anonymous blog just for that purpose. Also, because my blog is not anonymous, I do censor what I say. I feel like I lose a bit of authenticity in that regard.

    The good: People that know me and love me follow along. But wait, many family members -- close family members -- know that I blog and they don't even follow me! What kind of shit is that?? But perfect strangers are willing to read what I post and provide feedback! Isn't this fun? :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, AJM--Welcome over! Thanks for coming...just put your coat anywhere.

    I will definitely have to check out your blog, because, as a fellow teacher, I find it very tricky to determine what I can/should say, even with anonymity on my side. 'Cause you just never know, right? And yet, my work is a huge part of who I am, so where is the line?

    ReplyDelete